Direction (1-10) : Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is ‘e’, i.e No Error. (Ignore the Error of Punctuation if there is any)
1. I have been travelling by local trains (a) / since last several years (b) / but had never experienced (c) / such a horrible situation as this (d) / No Error (e)
2. I found this ring (a) / as I dig in the garden. (b) / It looks very old. (c) / I wonder who it belonged to. (d) / No Error (e).
3. India today stands (a) / at crucial crossroads (b) / with its history (c) / as independent nation (d). /
No Error (e).
4. By April next year (a) / I will have been (b) / working in this office (c) / for twenty years (d). / No Error (e).
5. He was having the bath (a) / when the phone rang (b) / very unwillingly he got out of the bath (c) / and went to answer it. (d) / No Error (e).
6. By the time he gets back (a) / from his holidays (b) / the milkman has left (c) / twenty one bottle of milk outside his door. (d) / No Error (e).
7. Have you heard the news ? (a) / Mukesh and Malti are engaged. (b) / That is now new, (c) / I know it for ages. (d) / No Error (e).
8. Ganesh is not only involved (a) / in organizing conferences and seminars (b) / but also in conducting (c) / adult literacy programmes. (d) / No Error (e).
9. When I heard his knock (a) / I went to the door (b) / and opened it (c) / but I was not recognized
him. (d) / No Error (e).
10. If would have realized (a) / what a bad shape our library is in (b) / I would have done something (c) / to arrest the deterioration. (d) / No Error (e).
1. (b) 2. (b) 3. (e) 4. (e) 5. (c) 6. (c) 7. (d) 8. (a) 9. (d) 10. (a)
1. Replace ‘since’ with ‘for’. (period of time)
2. Replace ‘dig’ with ‘was digging’. (dig is the first for of verb)
5. Use ‘and’ after ‘rang’ because a different sentence is to be combined.
6. Replace ‘has’ with ‘will have’. (this time denoted is future).
7. Replace ‘know’ with ‘have known’. (for + time)
8. Place ‘not only’ after ‘involved’
9. Replace ‘was not’ with ‘did not’
10. Replace ‘would have’ with ‘had’